Palmetto 800 Radio System
South Carolina Leveraging Public Private Partnerships to Develop Statewide Communications Network
The South Carolina Statewide 800 MHz Radio and Mobile Data System is a cost-shared public/private partnership between state government, local governments, power utilities, and Motorola Solutions, Inc. The system is a Motorola P25 - 7.15 Core which utilizes Motorola Smart-X technology to migrate the network’s remaining 4.1 SmartZone sites to P25.
The goal of the shared Palmetto 800 system is to provide public safety grade statewide coverage, enhance statewide interoperability and provide agencies with a superior communications technology at an economical price to meet their public safety communications needs.
In operation since 1992, the network continues to expand and evolve to meet public safety responder needs. The South Carolina Department of Administration’s Division of Technology Operations administers the system with the support of an elected advisory committee, to ensure the system is administered with the input of its users.
- Commonly referred to as the "Palmetto 800," the South Carolina system has continued to grow and today is one of the largest shared, statewide radio networks in the nation with over 30,000 primary users.
- Over 750 agencies representing state government, federal government, local government, law enforcement agencies, fire services, EMS services, and power utilities in South Carolina, North Carolina, and Georgia currently participate in the shared, statewide 800 MHz radio network.
- All South Carolina county, emergency management agencies and 911 centers have been provided with radios to access to the Palmetto 800 system for interoperability and disaster response coordination.
- The South Carolina Division of Technology Operations coordinates the State’s communications cache of radios, mobile radio towers, mobile satellite trailers (data, VoIP phone and two-way, radio services) and Communications Strike Team.
- South Carolina continues to receive top rankings for its interoperability efforts associated with the Palmetto 800 and PATCON systems.
The State of South Carolina has signed a contract with Motorola Solutions, Inc. to upgrade the Palmetto 800 4.1 sites to P25. The completed conversion of the Palmetto 800 system to P25 is on schedule for the fall of 2017.
Palmetto Tactical Communications Network Statewide Communications Network:
In addition to the Palmetto 800 Shared Trunked Network, South Carolina has implemented a statewide conventional 800 MHz network known as the Palmetto Tactical Communications Network (PATCON). PATCON is a State owned network that utilizes State and National interoperability frequencies interlaced across South Carolina.
PATCON provides a statewide cost effective interoperability solution for non-trunked radio users, network redundancy, and additional network capacity during events or emergencies.
To view the PATCON 800 MHz Conventional Coverage map, please click here.
- Next Users Advisory Committee Meeting - Jan. 20, 2016, (10 a.m. to 12 p.m.) at the Division of Technology (4430 Broad River Road).
- Spring 2016 User Group Meeting - May 4, 2016, (12 pm) at the Pine Island Club on Lake Murray.
- Fall 2016 User Group Meeting - Nov. 2, 2016, (12 pm) at the Pine Island Club on Lake Murray.
- P-25 Migration information can be accessed by clicking here.
- Palmetto 800 24 hour System Monitoring and Support (800) 353-0101.
- Interconnecting to the Palmetto 800 System - The Palmetto 800 Radio System and its licensees prohibit two-way interconnecting or the connecting of the Palmetto 800 System to other radio systems, telephone systems, cellular systems or any system that brings additional/outside loading to the system without written approval of the Division of Technology and the 800 MHz Advisory Committee. See the interconnect guidelines link on the System Operations page for additional information.
- About the Division of Technology
- Contact Us
- Enterprise Privacy
- Information Security
- Technology Operations
- About Technology Operations
- Palmetto 800 Radio System
- System Operations, Policies and User Cost
- Conventional Mutual Aid 800 MHz Repeater Plan
- SC Mutual Aid Talkgroups and Channels
- Palmetto 800 MHz System User Fees
- System Administration
- Palmetto 800 System Users
- Coverage Maps
- Palmetto 800 Radio System Contact Information
- Palmetto 800 Advisory Committee
- Communications Equipment Cache
- Training Opportunities
- National Mutual Aid Frequencies
- Emergency Operations and Notifications
- Missing and Stolen Equipment
- Useful Links
- IT Forums
- State IT Plans
- Contact Us